Main aim: Teenagers are encouraged to name positive characteristics about themselves and their families
Name: Positive Reinforcement Game
Type: Self esteem activities for teenagers
Participants: Individuals in a small group (around 5 participants)
Duration: 45-60 minutes
Materials: One sheet of paper for each participant and a pen for writing
Use these instructions as a guide for the activity. It must be stressed to the participants that they should be thinking of positive characteristics only.
Note: For better outcomes, the list of positive characteristics below may be circulated to participants before the game starts.
- If the activity is played in a group, have all participants sitting on a chair in a circle facing each other.
- Hand out the sheet of paper to each participant.
- Ask the participants to write their names on the sheet of paper and then hand the sheet to the person on their left.
- The participants must then write down one good characteristic of the person whose name is on the sheet of paper.
- The participants should hand the sheet to another participant on their left.
- Again, the participants must write down one good characteristic of the person whose name is on the sheet of paper.
- The game continues until all participants have taken a turn writing each others’ positive characteristics.
- The participants must hand the sheet to you.
- Discuss with the participants how they feel about the characteristics that have been written about them. Some questions:
- do they feel that the characteristic is true of them?
- if not, why not as others think that the characteristic is appropriate?
- did they feel good reading about what was written?
- how about their families and friends, what positive characteristics do they see in their families and friends?
Positive characteristics list
The activity challenges the participants in the following ways:
- to identify a positive characteristic in another person.
- to describe how they see themselves.
- to discover ways to build self confidence.
Read our updated Popular Workbooks on Self Esteem Activities for Teenagers
Latest self esteem activities for teenagers
More activities for teenagers
- Community Service Ideas
- Fun Activities
- Ice Breaker Activities
- Indoor Activities
- Problem Solving Activities
- Self Esteem Activities
- Therapeutic Activities
- Team Building Activities